Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Speech FlipBook Review

 Speech FlipBook by Tactus Therapy Solutions 
$4.99 (special low price)
View in iTunes


This is the newest app from the creators of some of my favorite apps to use with my adult clients, Tactus Therapy Solutions. This new app is very versatile and any speech therapist regardless of setting or population will find it useful! This is a talking flip book that literally has endless amounts of combinations to target articulation errors, phonological processing errors, vowel distortions and more. You can also use this app to enhance reading skills (phonics, syllable awareness, ect...) and set it up to practice rhyming. 

I recommend watching the video tutorials before you dive into this app because it is designed to be simple but you may get overwhelmed the first time with the endless possibilities it offers.  Read about the basics of this app directly from the developer here: 
http://tactustherapy.com/apps/speechflipbook/
I am very impressed by this help page because it gives you links to videos/PDFs on how to tailor the app for specific disorders (articulation, word lists, minimal pairs, phonological awareness, Dysarthria, Apraxia, and other uses).



The basics according to me! :)
The first thing you need to decide obviously is what type of speech issue you want to address (articulation, phonological process, apraxia, dysarthria, reading ect...) After you do that you will have to learn how to set the app up to meet your needs. (Again I highly recommend checking out their website before you start!!) There are many options that you will have to play with such as: flipping pages by word or sound, choosing your syllable pattern (V, CV, CVC, CCVC ect..),  choosing specific sounds, choosing real words/non-words or both,  turning on/off the printed word/audio, choosing if you want uppercase/lowercase/IPA, and choosing specific word lists.



Things I really like: 


 I love the customization of this app and its simplicity. One feature I love is that when you choose your sounds it has them categorized in a chart by place/manner/voicing,  allowing you to, for example,  choose all the bilabials sounds or all of the voiced fricatives in one touch.

 




 












I really like that you can flip between sounds and words to target each part of the syllable. I can't wait to use this with my kiddos who need help with rhyming! (You can have a stable vowel and end consonant and just flip the initial consonant to give them a visual of rhyming words). 

I have heard a lot of feedback regarding this app and Apraxia! I haven't used it with any students with this speech disorder yet but I will as soon as I get the opportunity. I think how easy it would be to target progression from different consonant and vowel forms is what makes this such a hit. 

 
The image to the left shows how easy it is to make a customized word list for your students. I believe their website stated that there are more than 1000 CVC words and 1000 words with clusters.  They also include 250 set of homophones and you have the ability to crease 60,000 combinations of words and non words! (Impressive!) 

Another handy thing is that you can include IPA (international phonetic alphabet) if you desire. The vowel page has the phonetic transcription included next the them.


 How I have used it so far in therapy:  I have used this app the most with older students who continue to struggle with articulation (they have responded better with the more grown up look of this app as compared to the traditional picture artic apps).  I have also created minimal pair practices for my gliders (w/r, l/w). I have also used it a lot with my little ones who struggle with rhyming! I will continue to use it in different ways when I get the chance!


Things I would like to see in the future: I would love to see the ability to save settings to a client profile. This would reduce the amount of setup up before sessions if the app allowed you to store a student's targets within the app. 

I love that they categorized the consonants by placement and manner, I would also like to see the vowels categorized by placement (front, central, back, rounded, unrounded ect..)







This image shows the vowels, they are split up by vowels, diphthongs, and r-controlled.









Overall Quick Review
This is a great app to add to  your toolbox because it has endless uses for a variety of speech/language issues. The set up is a little tricky to get used to but Tactus provides videos/PDFs for you to learn in a snap how to set it up for your clients.  This app would be out of this world if you could save settings/word lists for a student under a profile. (I can see having to set up the app over and over again for each client could become time consuming and exhausting, especially if you are seeing clients  back to back like I do!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment